Eleven soldiers at a military base in Texas have been hospitalized after drinking a poisonous substance they thought was alcohol, Army officials said.
The soldiers drank the unknown substance after a 10-day field exercise at Fort Bliss’s McGregor Range Complex ended on Thursday, Fort Bliss officials said in a statement.
Officials said the soldiers thought they were drinking booze, which is banned at the base.
They then began experiencing symptoms between 7:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. that same day.
All were taken to William Beaumont Army Medical Center, and two soldiers were admitted to the intensive care unit because that are seriously ill, officials said.
Toxicology results showed the soldiers — who are assigned the 11th Air Defense Artillery Brigade, 32d Army Air and Missile Defense Command — were suffering from ethylene glycol poisoning.
Symptoms of ethylene glycol poisoning include seizures, going into a coma, and cerebral edema in some cases, according to the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry.
The US Army Criminal Investigation Command is probing the incident.